Thursday, June 24, 2010

Close to home.

As I write this I am at that strange space between heartbroken and incredibly proud. I try not to go there too much, it's draining. Exhausting, both emotionally and mentally. But sometimes you see something, hear something that takes you there and all you can do is roll with it till you get your balance back. Today it was a movie. I just finished watching Temple Grandin, and the hairs on the back of my neck are still prickling. Watching Clare Danes as Temple is eerie, it gives you shivers. It is a mind blowing performance. Heartbreaking and inspiring at the same instant. And so close to home. I could have been watching firstborn. The stilted language "Hello-it's-nice-to-meet-you-my-name-is-Temple-Grandin" "Hi-my-name-is-Kit-K-I-T" The affinity with animals. She could tell the difference between the sounds the cows made. Kit knows every dog in every house on his paper route and they know him. He doesn't even notice the people. The clothes issues, the noise issues, the visual-literal issues. And the refusal to let it stop them from achieving their goals. "I want my life to matter" (Temple) "I have important things to do"(Kit).
She attended university and achieved amazing results in her work with cattle. Kit has his heart set on an associate degree in applied sciences so he can work with dogs. How can I do less than encourage him with everything I have, to be everything he can be? He has important things to do. You better believe it.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

MusicPlaylistView Profile
Create a playlist at MixPod.com