Thursday, May 20, 2010

Ramblings of an overworked homeologist.

Firstborn and second son are watching The House of Tiny Tearaways, which is kinda like Supernanny Lockdown.....you bring yourself, your partner and your feral offspring to the house and they lock you in with Dr Tanya and fire psychology at you for a week. The boys love it. The worse behaved the kids are, the more avidly they watch. Second son in particular is a massive fan, probably because the kids in question make him look like one of Raphaels cherubs by comparison. His constant refrain is 'hey, at least I never did that'.
How quickly they forget. His early years would fill several bookshelves in any child psychologists waiting room, and that's without the special edition sibling rivalry volumes.
In case you missed the subtle (like a brick) untertones, I'm a bit over parenting ATM.
I think it was the duelling book reports that pushed me over the edge. Firstborn is reading 'Tomorrow When the War Began' which is on the podium with 'The Boy in the Striped Pajamas' and 'Doctor Zhivago' as one of the most depressing books ever written. Small wonder we're raising a generation of Emo's when you look at the Year 10 reading list. Firstborn is not real impressed with it either, which probably explains why he was correcting his draft copy with one hand and MSNing with the other....ahh, the joys of being lefthanded. It also explains why the sentence "hey Jake, wassup w/u" appears in his latest rewrite. I'm thinking his right and left got temporarily misassigned for a moment. Don'tcha hate it when your mother proofreads over your shoulder?? Second son was allowed his own choice of book and settled on 'The Hunchback Assignments' which at was at least interesting without being morbidly depressing. The only downside being that it had 3 million chapters and SS has long since forgotten what happened in the first 3/4 of the book. So it was a real slow afternoon, involving much headbanging and hair pulling, followed by wholesale ingestion of Nurofen by the supervising parent. And I thought three days of Napalm was a pain in the ass. Sigh. So as a little reward to myself for not descending to their level and whining 'but I did that already' , I am treating myself to the ultimate in trash tv.....Toddlers and Tiaras, followed by Repo Men Uncensored. I can feel my IQ dropping even as I type. Love my Foxtel.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

MusicPlaylistView Profile
Create a playlist at MixPod.com